Our biggest loss during the pandemic was that of our people. Our people have always been our greatest asset and our biggest investment so to lose so many talented people as a result of COVID has been one of the hardest challenges we’ve faced.
We talk a lot about our “FCTG DNA”; in both good and bad times, it’s our unique make-up, our ‘have a go’ attitude and our out-of-the-box thinking that determines how well we adapt and evolve. We accept that change is the only constant in our industry...and never before have we seen it illustrated so clearly.
We seize opportunities and right now, our biggest opportunity is to prepare our business for the road ahead. As we rebuild our great company, we’re asking you to consider joining us for the ride.
Apply for a role with us
In March of this year, we launched Flighties Forever, a website dedicated to showcasing current role vacancies across FCTG’s businesses in Australia specifically for our alumni and travel industry colleagues. People can register for job alerts and personalise their profiles so the Recruitment Team can best match suitable applicants to vacant roles.
We have proudly recruited 169 people into roles across our business since the platform went live in March. This proves to us that both our FCTG alumni and those who have joined us from other industry partners are committed to our vision, invested in our culture and confident in the future of the travel industry.
We welcome anyone from the travel industry to put their expertise and skills to work in our business. You can connect with us on LinkedIn and we encourage you to explore our alumni website for current role vacancies. You can also register your interest for job alerts.
Looking after our people
We take our work seriously but not ourselves. This is an important part of our DNA; we embrace irreverence and make sure we always have fun.
Our people have always been the heart of our operation and we have implemented a number of initiatives recently to ensure our people know they remain our number one priority. Retaining our people during this period is critical to our business plans, as is actively recruiting people to join our journey and help us re-create a future for travel where the world is open for all of those who want to see it.
These initiatives include:
- Bringing back our (in)famous Global Gathering. In July 2022, we will celebrate our traditional reward and recognition event in Singapore!
- Offering all of our people globally rights to shares. Most participants will receive a one-off grant of 250 share rights which will be able to be exchanged for Flight Centre shares in Feb 2023, when the company releases its results for the six months to 31 December 2022. A total of about 7,500 people are expected to receive 1.9 million shares under the program, which is valued at $30 million at today's FLT share price.
- Recruiting alumni and travel industry professionals to fill our roles as the world opens up.
- Supporting a fast-tracked national vaccine roll-out. We want all Australians to be fully vaccinated and protected against COVID-19 if they choose to do so. We support this as Australia’s path to freedom.
- Introducing a new remuneration and incentive model for our retail roles that rewards a high-performance sales culture; doing what is great for our customers at the same time as making profit we can all be proud of.
We still have a long road ahead but with our people behind us, we know we’ll reach our destination.
Head of People & Culture, Flight Centre Travel Group Australia